Monday, April 21, 2014

A sweet letter that explains a lot

[Handwritten by Harold on the back of paper with the following letterhead]
UNITED STATES CIVIL SERVICE COMMISSION
THIRTEENTH UNITED STATES CIVIL SERVICE DISTRICT
COMPRISING COLORADO, NEW MEXICO, UTAH, AND WYOMING
OFFICE OF THE MANAGER, DENVER, COLO.
ADDRESS:
THE MANAGER
THIRTEENTH U.S. CIVIL SERVICE DISTRICT
CUSTOMHOUSE DENVER, COLORADO
                                                                                                Austin Texas
                                                                                                April 21, 1945

Dear Mother Davidson:
            Laura told me about her calling you on the phone since I have been gone.  And as I read her letter I thought it would be nice to write to you too.  I have been away from home a little over a month now.  My work has been interesting and Texas weather has been like early summer back home.  For the last two days it has rained continually here in Austin and yet it is almost too warm to wear a suit coat.
            In spite of the pleasant nature of my work I oftimes am on the verge of quitting my job.  I would like nothing better than to have a job back home paying me just enough to get by on.  I’m not cut out for a traveling job that takes me away from my wife and babies.
            Lately in our letters Laura and I have written about coming home for a couple of weeks sometime in May.  If we do I have a slight feeling I will sort of nose around for a job while we’re there.
            I suppose most everything has changed back home too.  However it would be wonderful if Laura and I could just visit our mothers once in a while.  Laura worries a lot about you.  She needs to hear your voice once in a while too.  I have told her to call you on the phone as often as she likes and yet the darling girl is a Scott and hesitates because she wonders whether we can afford it.  I love Laura for a lot of her little Scottish ways Mother.  In fact the things I love most about her are the things you have taught her.  Her faith in Our Father in Heaven and in doing right toward all people.  I can hope for nothing more than as she and I grow older she will be as kind and sweet a mother and grandmother as you are.
            I have missed church most of the time since I left Denver.  It seems that I finish my business in one Texas city on Saturday evening and must start early Monday morning in a city some 5 or 6 hundred miles away.  This has meant all day Sunday on the train.  It seems as thou the Government expects their traveling representatives to do this.  This made me happy to hear that Roland did not take that job that had so much traveling in connection with it.  I have managed to go to Sunday School and Sacrament meeting twice since I came to Texas and I have been able to arrange it so I can go again tomorrow.  Laura has been able to go too as I left the car with her.
            Well Mother dear I must close for this time but hope that perhaps sometimes next month Laura and I will be able to see you in Salt Lake.  Write Laura when you can as she certainly looks for your letters and I in turn can get the news you send through her sweet letters to me.
                                                Your loving son,

                                                            Harold.

No comments:

Post a Comment