Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Laura often said she felt that she should have gone with Harold to his father's funeral.

Air Mail Letter addressed to Mr. Harold E. Carlson
770 Springview Drive
Salt Lake City, Utah
                                                 643 Cedar Street
                                                 San Antonio, Texas
                                                 June 12, 1942

Dearest Harold,
            It is just 9:30 Sat. morning but I have to send you a note telling you we are all right.  Alvin slept until quarter to 8 this morning for which I was very grateful.  I didn't realize how tired I was but we both slept well.
            We are going to have another scorching day.  Already the water is pouring down Alvin’s face like tears.  He seems very happy this morning tho.  Altho he has been wondering just where his daddy is.  The air cooler is apparently working very well, altho it is a little to soon to say much about it.  Reed was very tired this morning & is in the bedroom now sleeping.
            I hope your trip was not too tiresome, and that you arrived in good time.  After you left I was a little worried for fear you would miss your bus.  Give my love to everyone, both in Salt Lake, and in Pleasant Grove, and know that I am thinking of you, and sending my love to help you every minute.  Kiss Mother for Alvin & me and we will write again soon.  Take care of yourself, and don’t let yourself become too tired.
                                                            With all our love,
                                                            Laura and Alvin

[Harold had returned to Utah for the funeral of his father, Alvin Emanuel Carlson]

Postcard postmarked Jun 15 10 AM 1942 Salt Lake City, Utah addressed to Mrs. H.E. Carlson 643 Cedar St., San Antonio, Texas
                                                                                                                                           S.L.C.
                                                                                                                              Mon. 7:30 am.

Dearest,
            Arrived here at 6:30 Bob is taking me home.  I’ll write you a long letter this evening after the services.
            Darling be careful and I’ll be seeing you.  The services are at 3:00 p.m. today.
                                                                                                            Harold    
        
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Grandpa Carlson died less than 2 months before I was born. I wish I had know him. I would like to have known Grandma Carlson better as well. I know we stayed at her home often when we went to Salt Lake, but somehow I never really spent time talking to her like I did with Grandma Davidson.

    ReplyDelete